2 Jul 2018
TEAM NOVO NORDISK STORY, EPISODE 2: TWO JOURNEYS, ONE GOAL
THE ROAD TO TEAM NOVO NORDISK: TWO JOURNEYS, ONE GOAL
In December 2012, Novo Nordisk and Phil Southerland, co-founder and CEO of Team Novo Nordisk, partnered to create Team Novo Nordisk. This unique partnership is the result of two inspirational journeys:
● In 1982, at seven months old, Phil was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. His mother was told he was unlikely to live past 25. Around the same time, Novo Nordisk – already a pioneer in the treatment of diabetes – marketed its first insulin that was identical to human insulin.
● From an early age, Phil’s effective management of diabetes included riding his bike. At college he motivated friend and fellow cyclist with diabetes, Joe Eldridge, to improve his diabetes control in a similar way. This inspired Phil to spread diabetes awareness to a larger audience, and in 2005 he formed a cycling team that included athletes both with and without diabetes. In 2007, this team went on to win the 3,000-mile tag-team Race Across America.
● In 2005 - the same year as Phil formed the team - Novo Nordisk launched the Changing Diabetes® programme, which aims to ensure better outcomes for more patients, by creating more opportunities to live well with diabetes.
● As Phil travelled around the world, he witnessed the Novo Nordisk interest in supporting the diabetes community. This was an immediate shared goal, as was the desire to empower people with diabetes, and show that living with diabetes shouldn’t stop you from pursuing your dreams.
● Based on these shared goals, Team Novo Nordisk was created in December 2012.
Untill nowadays, with Team Novo Nordisk riders protagonist in many of the most important World Tour races, as Milano-Sanremo, Tirreno-Adriatico and Tour of California. In 2017 Full Speed Ahead and Vision became technical partners of the team, supporting the athletes with Type 1 Diabetes to follow their dreams and face with the top riders in the world. Together towards the goals!
In the 2018 season the athletes of Team Novo Nordisk will be equipped with:
FULL SPEED AHEAD: